Firecracker ban: Traders move Supreme Court for modification of order

Share

However, those who had already bought firecrackers can still burst them during the Hindu festival of lights celebrated mostly across northern India.

On the other hand, on September 12, 2017, the court ordered to take off the ban on the trade and stocking of fire crackers in the capital will be back into upshot from November 1, 2017.

The interim application would come up for hearing before a bench headed by Justice A K Sikri.

It had said its November 11, 2016, order suspending the licenses "should be given one chance to test itself" to see if there would be a positive effect of this, particularly during Diwali.

In a bid to reduce the toxic levels of pollution in the Delhi NCR region, the Supreme Court had banned the sale of firecrackers until November 1, thereby bypassing Diwali on October 19 which is when the sale and use of firecrackers peaks.

It had said that the 11 November a year ago order, suspending all licences which "permit sale of fireworks, wholesale and retail within the territory of NCR", was passed by the court keeping in view the situation that had arisen after last Diwali.

Criticising Shashi Tharoor's statement supporting the ban on firecracker sale in Delhi-NCR, Ramdev said that an intelligent person like him must not speak like this. "Celebrate this Diwali with Diyas & love".

He also suggested that the court could restrict the time for bursting firecrackers or its sale.

Opposing Supreme Court ban on the sale of firecrackers across Delhi-NCR, yoga guru Baba Ramdev said that one particular community is being targeted.

The Supreme Court's verdict is said to have impacted almost 400 temporary firecracker license holders and 150 permanent ones.

Share