Queen Elizabeth II won't lay war memorial wreath this year

Share

The Queen has decided she will not lay a wreath at the Cenotaph at the national Remembrance Sunday service this year.

The Queen and Duke will be standing on a balcony of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office traditionally used by royal women like the Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall to watch the Remembrance Sunday service in Whitehall. Prince William, who became a full-time royal earlier this year, has also increased his workload following his grandfather's retirement in August.

The Queen's aides stress that her primary reason for asking Prince Charles to lay a wreath is so that she can be alongside her husband. Those were because she was away on tour - to Ghana in 1961, Brazil in 1968, Kenya in 1983 and South Africa in 1999 - and because she was pregnant with Prince Andrew in 1959 and Prince Edward in 1963.

Her decision to hand the responsibility over to Charles is illustrative of how both Buckingham Palace and Clarence House see the heir gradually taking over more of his mother's duties.

Her Majesty was said to have told her inner circle that if she is still on the throne at the age of 95, she will ask for a piece of legislation to grant her eldest son full power to reign while she is alive.

The wreath-laying itself involves bending over to place the wreath at the foot of the Cenotaph, then walking backwards down a few steps.

However, she has denied this is something she is planning to do.

Buckingham Palace has also announced that Prince Harry will visit the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey.

Royal sources say the Queen's Autumn schedule is very similar to previous years and they will continue to make appropriate arrangements for the Queen's individual engagements.

Share