The Fire Department of NY says 14 people have been injured, one critically, in a Brooklyn apartment building fire.
The fire broke out just before 5 a.m. Monday in a kitchen on the second floor of the four-story building on 49th Street in Borough Park. According to the FDNY, the blaze was an "accidental fire which began in a closet as a result of a malfunctioning permanently installed gas heater". Authorities said that the woman was trapped and screaming for help because her exit was blocked by a sukkah-a wooden structure erected as part of the Jewish holiday Sukkot.
It took about an hour for a crew of 135 firefighters from 33 units to bring the fire under control, PIX11 reported.
That woman, identified by the Daily News as Daniella Liby, was rushed to a nearby hospital by Hatzolah ambulance service.
The 13 other patients, including four firefighters, were all in stable condition.
She is now at Maimonides Medical Center. The Buildings Department found that one resident had a sukkah blocking the fire escape, and issued a fine, though in this instance, baruch Hashem, the sukkah did not prevent any families' escape.