United Nations calls on USA to end Cuba embargo

Share

Cuban officials investigating the USA complaints said last week talk of acoustic strikes was "science fiction".

"For the 25th time in 26 years, the United States will vote against this resolution", Haley told the assembly.

Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez speaks during a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington on Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017.

Rodriguez is in Washington this week to meet with members of Congress, academic and business leaders and reporters to discuss the attacks and the importance of maintaining positive diplomatic relations. "If the US government thinks otherwise, I invite it to present evidence".

The State Department has refrained from pointing the finger at the Cuban Government, saying it did not know who was responsible for the attacks. After more than a half century of estrangement, diplomatic relations between Havana and Washington were resumed in July 2015. "And the lies the regime uses to defend itself have badly damaged its standing".

Under Donald Trump's presidency, however, the United States, joined by Israel, has returned to voting against the resolution.

The draft resolution was approved 191-2, with the USA and Israel being the only countries that voted against it on Wednesday, Xinhua news agency reported.

The two countries work closely together on matters of security, drug trafficking, terrorism, money laundering and cybercrimes. "The Cuban government has no responsibility whatsoever for these incidents", he said.

"The United States does not fear isolation in this chamber, or anywhere else".

Information provided to Cuba has been general and lacking in objective data, he said.

Washington has, however, accused Havana of failing to protect United States diplomatic personnel, while Trump has not hesitated to blame the Cuban government. "Therefore, the United States strongly opposes it". He also asked why US authorities requested more than 200 visas for relatives and friends of diplomats between January and October if conditions were unsafe.

Asked if he was accusing the Donald Trump administration of fabricating the claims about the attacks in Havana, Rodriguez said that his government was certain that "no attack has occurred". The vote comes as an ongoing crisis over US government workers in Havana harmed by invisible attacks on their health has created a new rift between the USA and Cuba, putting the restoration of ties in jeopardy.

Share