The retailer said it also confirmed that a talcum ingredient in the products came "from a certified asbestos-free European vendor".
Claire's, a store that sells accessories and makeup to young girls and teens, has pulled some of its items after it was found that cancer-causing asbestos was present in some of its products.
The company has since reported the list of products affected which includes nine make-up sets including the Pink Glitter Palette with Eyeshadow and Lip Gloss as well as the Rainbow Glitter Heart Shaped Makeup Set.
A Providence, R.I., TV station had aired a story about a local law firm's test of a Claire's product, saying it contained asbestos, In response, Claire's recalled the product and ordered its own tests. Asbestos was once commonly used for building insulation, and has been found to cause certain types of cancers and tumors on internal organs.
It said: "At Claire's the safety of our customers is of paramount importance and we are passionate about the safety and integrity of our products".
Officials could not be reached for additional comment.
A Rhode Island mother was the first to report the potential problem after she saw her daughter playing with an aqua-colored glitter makeup kit from Claire's.
Warner works for a Rhode Island law firm that is one Fitzgerald's clients. "So she made a decision to send the makeup kit to me". "This is unusual, so let's get multiple jurisdictions, multiple states, multiple products and let's see how that results", said Warner's boss, John Deaton.
Pink Glitter Cellphone Makeup Compact. The kit purchased several years ago was one of those that tested positive, he said. At that point, experts say, no level of asbestos is considered safe.
Although mesothelioma diagnoses are most common in people who have been exposed to asbestos in an occupational setting, there have also been a number of mesothelioma cases linked to asbestos-containing consumer products over the years.
Asbestos is a commercial name given to a cluster of six minerals that occur naturally in the environment.
The products were removed from stores on December 22, a Health Canada spokesman said.