'Barely Made It Out' Says Couple Who Raced Car Out Of Mudslide


A video taken during Tuesday's rainstorm in Burbank, showing a auto speeding down a hillside street while surrounded by a torrent of mud and water, had garnered more than 62,000 views on social media as of Thursday afternoon.

Desionne Franklin said on Tuesday morning he became anxious about the weather conditions.

'I heard a rumbling as I was lying in the bed and I woke up, ' he recalled to KTLA.

"By that time my whole life was flashing before me, 'Oh, this is not about to happen right here, '" he said.

Before he got into the auto, Franklin says he had made a decision to call into work.

After the downpour slowed, Franklin helped his housemate secure sandbags around the home's perimeter and went back to sleep.

"We all looked out the window and it was trees, rocks, boulders and an occasional auto just flying by", said Ashanka Givens, his passenger. "We've got to get out of here!'" Mr Franklin said.

Terrifying The wall of water has engulfed the undercarriage of the vehicle at this point
Terrifying The wall of water has engulfed the undercarriage of the vehicle at this point

Franklin and his girlfriend then got in his vehicle and attempted to drive down the street. The auto is clearly running, with the headlights on and wipers engaged, and was able to get around the curve in the hill, even as a fresh wave of mud and water engulfed it.

"I got halfway down the hill, and I just feel this burst of water", Desionne explained.

"One of the cars looked like a wadded up piece of foil paper", said Franklin. 'You couldn't even recognize what it was to begin with'.

Despite driving in mud and a few minor scratches, the vehicle still functions fine. He told KTLA, "I didn't even know a Prius could hold up in nothing like that".

The video was shared by Burbank Firefighters on Instagram and it is scary AF.

Waves of mud flowed down County Club Drive in Burbank, creating a river in the road during a winter storm Tuesday Jan. 9, 2018. The viral video was shot in Burbank. Both cars appeared severely damaged.