The collapse happened in the Baldunia area of the city between via Livio Andronico and via Lattanzio.
"The road has sunk for about 10 meters, dragging some parked vehicles with it", firefighters said in a statement.
The picture taken on February 15, 2018, in the street of Balduina's district in Rome shows a huge sinkhole that opened up the day before swallowing six cars.
About 22 families were evacuated by firefighters following the collapse at about 6pm on Wednesday.
No injuries were reported, but the area remained cordoned off on Thursday morning after a large part of the ground collapsed just before 6:00 pm on Wednesday.
A view is captured of a large sinkhole that opened in a street of a residential area in Rome, on February 14, 2018.
A view of a sinkhole that opened in a street of a residential area in Rome. "We are talking about 20 families, between 50 and 60 people", Rome's mayor Virginia Raggi told La Repubblica.
According to initial findings, the road collapse might be a sinkhole, as work had been carried out last month at the site following reports of water leaks from the dig's walls.
One resident told Rai News that there had been warning signs, saying she was anxious after she felt the floor of her house shake in the days before the hole formed.
The ANSA news agency says prosecutors are investigating a property owner and the construction company responsible for work along the road.