Michigan State Walk-On Being Investigated for Groping Woman

Share

A Michigan State men's basketball player has been under investigation from criminal sexual assault since early in the academic year, according to a report from ESPN. "Every incident reported in that article was documented either by police or the Michigan State Title IX office".

According to a report from ESPN's "Outside the Lines", Washington, a walk-on who hasn't appeared in a game this season for the No. 2 Spartans, has been accused by a female student of forcibly groping her without permission in August.

MLive obtained a statement that Hollis emailed to current athletic department staffers at Michigan State. If charges are brought, Washington could see up to two years in prison.

Michigan State head football coach Mark Dantonio received his annual one-year contract extension Friday.

"Any accusations of my handling of any complaints of sexual assault individually are completely false", Dantonio said the day the ESPN report was published. In his message, Hollis said that parts of ESPN's report - which outlined a culture of mishandled assault allegations throughout the Michigan State athletic department - were "incomplete and misleading". Interim president John Engler seemed to echo Hollis, saying it was "a sensationalized package of reporting" and that Izzo and football coach Mark Dantonio had been asked not to comment as the report is being reviewed.

Hollis served as Michigan State's athletic director from 2008 until late January, when he retired in the wake of the Larry Nassar scandal. He has a rolling six-year contract with an annual one-year extension. The report revealed "a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression" in such cases involving athletes, including members of the school's football and basketball programs.

Share