Ant McPartlin pleads guilty to drink-drive charge

Share

"I am truly sorry for what happened", McPartlin, 41, said on the steps of Wimbledon Magistrates' Court.

Wearing a black three-piece suit, white shirt and black tie, McPartlin told the court he was "ashamed and mortified" following the incident.

McPartlin, who lives in Chiswick, west London, was arrested at around 4pm on March 18th after a failing a roadside breathalyser test in Richmond, west London, following a collision between the Mini he was driving and two other cars.

His ban can be reduced to 15 months if he attends a driving awareness course.

McPartlin, 42, told police he was "ashamed and mortified" after crashing his auto while drink-driving with his mother in the passenger seat.

The driver of the Mini vehicle said afterwards, the court heard, that they thought they would die in the collision. "I let a lot of people down and for that, I am truly sorry".

The moment occurred on BBC News, after Ant McPartlin pleaded guilty to drink driving.

A witness statement from one of the other drivers involved said that Mr McPartlin's mini rounded a corner "like a rocket".

As Ant faced his verdict at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on Monday, it emerged that he was twice the legal limit when he crashed with his mum Christine Woodhall in the vehicle.

District Judge Barbara Barnes told Ant: "You are a well-known and successful entertainer", whose weekly income is estimated to be around £130,000 a week.

The statement reportedly also said the incident had been a "turning point" for Ant, and he appreciates people in the public eye must set an example to others.

The court heard that the host had been seeking help for "alcohol and emotional issues" at the time following the breakdown of his marriage.

Liam Walker, Ant's defence barrister said: "Anthony McPartlin is sorry". "Higher standards are expected of me".

'I accept full culpability for this and wish to apologise to all those concerned'.

He is taking time off from TV and seeking treatment "for the foreseeable future" following the accident and charge, according to his publicist.

It has been confirmed that Dec, 42, will present the upcoming Britain's Got Talent live shows by himself, while Ant steps away from the TV spotlight.

Share