April 16 (ANI): After a major fire broke out at Rohingya camp near Delhi's Kalindi Kunj Metro Station, the refugees have been shifted to the nearby ground and were provided help by the Non-Government Organisations (NGO) and the locals. One man, Vikas Kumar, who was sleeping in a garage adjacent to the camp, suffered burn injuries to the hand and has been admitted to a private hospital. Many have also lost documents related to their properties in Myanmar. Meanwhile, families of the Rohingyas Muslims refugees have been temporarily shifted to a nearby camp and with NGOs helping them with food and water facilities.
The fire broke out around 3.30 am due to a short circuit in the electrical wiring system in the camp and spread rapidly, police said.
A fire department official said it took 11 fire tenders three hours to douse the fire.
A preliminary probe revealed that the fire began in a toilet in the far left corner of the plot, where over 47 families live.
The rescued refugees were provided temporary tent and mosquito nets to their spend time in the ground till their shanties are reconstructed. The camp, established in 2012 at Madanpur Khadar area of Kalindi Kunj, has seen four incidents of fire since - in 2012, 2016, 2017 and now in 2018. "We have been provided with only five small fire extinguishers".
"We were told to vacate our houses by the police patrolling team, and within seconds of leaving the house the only shelter on our head was engulfed in the flames", said Mohammad Atif, a resident at the camp.
A forensic team and officials from power discom BSES visited the camp to ascertain the cause of the fire. Download The for your device.in English and other languages.