Jogger detained for 2 weeks after accidentally crossing U.S.-Canada border


Roman is a citizen of France and was in British Columbia to visit her mother in the town of North Delta. She said she didn't see any signs marking the border during her run. So began a two-week nightmare that landed her in a prison jumpsuit.

According to her Facebook page, Roman says she lives in Vancouver, British Columbia.

"I said to myself, well I may have crossed the border - but they'll probably only give me a fine or they'll tell me to go back to Canada or they'll give me a warning", Roman told CBC.

After contacting her mother, Christiane Ferne, Roman was released following Ferne's arrival with her identifying paper work.

Roman is certainly not the first outdoors enthusiast to have made the mistake along the U.S.

Noting that her steps had been captured on security cameras monitoring the area, the officers detained the teenager and accused her of crossing illegally into Blaine, Washington.

Roman has yet to respond to a Peace Arch News request for comment.

For example, Canada's current policies around the border have not only led to a massive increase in arrivals but have also created an environment in which extremely unsafe members of gangs such as ms-13 are able to cross into the country.

With no government-issued ID on her, Roman was detained and sent to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Center, where she remained for more than two weeks.

"They put me in the caged vehicles and brought me into their facility", Roman told CBC News. "They asked me to remove all my personal belongings with my jewelry".

Roman was released on June 6, after her mother, Christiane Ferne, provided immigration officials with her daughter's paperwork and authorities in both the US and Canada determined that the jogger could return to Canada.

That was not to be the case, according to US immigration officials, who confirmed the subsequent events in an email to The Washington Post.

The process took two weeks and only then was Roman taken back to Canada.

At about 9 p.m. on Victoria Day, Ferne received a call from her daughter bawling, telling her that she was detained in the U.S.

Her mother said: "It was just unfair that there was nothing, no sign at the border. It's like a trap.anybody can be caught at the border like this".

In a statement quoted in the CBC story, a U.S. Customs spokesperson said that Roman was "processed accordingly".

"This applies regardless of whether or not the individual claims to have inadvertently crossed the border", the department said. The family said they were not sure if Roman will be allowed back in the US.