North Korea says U.S. are like 'gangsters' after 'regrettable' nuclear talks

Share

North Korea on Saturday lashed out at what it called "rapacious" U.S. demands, just hours after the conclusion of what Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had called "productive" talks.

The spokesman said that the first high-level talks between the two countries following the summit failed to consolidate mutual trust, only to risk undermining the North's commitment to denuclearization.

Kono and South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung Wha received an update on what progress has been made since the June 12 summit in Singapore in which North Korean leader Kim Jong Un promised U.S. President Donald Trump to work toward denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula. He said he is "hopeful" there will be a "path forward" in negotiations with North Korea.

Pompeo and Kim Yong Chol, a top adviser to the country's leader and a former spy chief, exchanged pleasantries Saturday after having had a cordial and relaxed meeting Friday night, but the us secretary of state didn't seem pleased with Kim's forwardness.

Sanctions on North Korea will remain in place until Pyongyang carries out "final" denuclearisation, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday. We buy $500 billion worth of goods from the Chinese.

He said before leaving for Pyongyang he was seeking to "fill in" details on North Korea's commitments and maintain the momentum towards implementing the Singapore agreement between Trump and Kim. They said the U.S. was not following the spirit of the Kim-Trump summit, and was just making demands throughout Pompeo's visit.

Despite Pompeo's positive depiction of the events, signs had emerged that things weren't going as well as hoped.

It is the first time he has visited North Korea since a summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un in Singapore. And earlier in the day, he had a curiously testy exchange with Kim Yong Chol, who mused that the secretary may not have slept well the night before because of the important issues they had discussed.

"I know my counterpart [Kim Yong-choi] spoke with Chairman Kim during the course of our negotiations as well".

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters that U.S. and North Korean officials had set up working groups to deal with "nitty gritty stuff", including verification of efforts to achieve denuclearization, which would be headed on the U.S. side by Sung Kim, a Korean-American who is also ambassador to the Philippines.

Still, the veteran diplomat sees the need for Pompeo, with the backing of the president, to continue negotiating with North Korea for the sake of the USA, its allies in the region and the rest of the world.

In comparison to past global nuclear disarmament negotiations, the discussions between Washington and North Korea on thawing ties and dismantling the North's arsenal appear to be proceeding in reverse. It could move by one day or two where there will be discussions between the folks responsible for the repatriation of remains.

It would be worse for Trump himself.

"The results of the talks are extremely worrisome", read a North Korean statement attributed to an unnamed official.

CVID stands for complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement of North Korea's nuclear programme, an oft-cited demand by Washington for Pyongyang.

"While we are encouraged by the progress of these talks, progress alone does not justify the relaxation of the existing sanctions regime".

What did the State Department say?

Nauert didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about North Korea's latest statement.

But fissures have emerged in the U.S. stance. He added that the Trump administration was committed to reaching a deal under which North Korea would denuclearise and realise economic benefits in return.

Pompeo, accompanied by senior State Department and Central Intelligence Agency officials, held nearly three hours of talks on Friday evening. Nauert later said the U.S. wasn't putting a timeline on the process.

A state department spokesperson said Mr Pompeo had been "very firm" in focusing on denuclearisation, as well as on security assurances and another important U.S. demand - the return of remains of USA service personnel from the Korean War.

And while both sides are still at the very tentative stages of trust-building, he said: "It's going to take time, but eventually we can not just keep on going this way because we will end up going nowhere".

Mr Trump has vowed that North Korea will not be allowed to threaten the United States with its ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.

Share