Rescue divers extracted four boys from the cave Sunday and headed back Monday to rescue the remaining eight and their soccer coach. Dr Harris, who has 30 years of diving experience and has led cave rescue and recovery missions before, risked his own life to make the treacherous journey to the chamber early on Sunday to check the boys who have been trapped underground for more than two weeks.
They are all members of a youth soccer team called the Wild Boars.
He said it's expected to take many hours - and could take days - for all 12 boys and their coach to emerge.
When the boys are freed, they will immediately be taken to Chiangrai Prachanukroh hospital, around 60 miles from the cave site.
Unconfirmed reports that the boys' coach, Ekapol Chanthawong, 25, was among the first four to be evacuated because of the poor state of his health, were dismissed on Monday.
The risky underwater rescues - considered a last resort - involve two divers accompanying each of the boys, none of whom had experience diving before they were found on July 2. On Sunday, officials waited until several hours after the rescued boys had been transported to hospitals to announce their rescue. "But there are caves where. explorers could go in and be trapped by rising water during like a heavy rain and trapped in an air pocket", Brick said.
The effort to save the boys and their coach has involved both foreign divers and members of an elite Thai navy unit.
The plight of the group has transfixed Thailand and the rest of the world, as authorities struggled to locate them and then devise a plan to get the boys and their coach out.
Eighth-grade teacher Manusanit Chongpanyanon shared the good news Monday with the students that four of the wayward boys were rescued from the Tham Luang Nang Non cave on Sunday and another four were brought out on Monday.
The eight Thai boys rescued from the caves over the weekend and Monday were quickly taken to the hospital and put in isolation rooms as medical teams evaluate the strain on their bodies from nearly two weeks underground.
The unsafe bid to rescue the boys - aged between 11 and 16 - got going again hours earlier on Monday after a break to replenish oxygen supplies and make other preparations deep inside the cave complex.
He said the last five survivors in the cave were in good health, adding that those who are now at the hospital could not eat fried rice yet because they will have to adjust themselves with the eating.
Authorities have said extracting the entire team from the cave could take up to four days, but two straight days of success raised hopes that it could be done faster. But in the past few days, they have avoided the heavy downpours that can flood the cave. "And we have more expertise than yesterday", he said.
It appears that the team were going into the cave as part of an initiation ceremony which tasked the boys with reaching the end of the cave and returning having written their names on the far wall.
Rescue operation commander Narongsak Osotthanakorn made the announcment on Monday afternoon.
Musk said the aluminum shell of the so-called submarine had high thermal conductivity, meaning it is able to allow heat to pass through it easily, and therefore provide insulation to the person inside. Doctors and nurses at a triage camp set up just inside the mouth of the cave gave the boys quick physicals before they were sent to the hospital in Chiang Rai.