Man dies after eating tainted raw oysters in a Sarasota restaurant

Share

The Florida Department of Health said that the 71-year-old man in Sarasota died following his seafood meal July 8 at a local restaurant.

A man dined on oyster at an unnamed restaurant in Florida's Sarasota County, only to die two days later from a deadly bacteria. He died on July 10.

Vibrio vulnificus bacteria are typically found in salt water and in raw or undercooked shellfish, notes the Florida Department of Health.

"Vibrio vulnificus is often mislabeled as flesh-eating bacteria, but it is very important to note that it is not flesh-eating bacteria", Mara Gambineri, the department's communications director, told the Epoch Times previous year, when a fatality caused by the infection was reported in Escambia County. Sarasota County didn't have any cases or deaths in 2017. The report also stated that the man had underlying medical issues.

While neither the man's identity nor the name of the Sarasota restaurant has been released, the incident occurred earlier this month. The particular type of bacterial in question is not considered flesh-eating.

Infection by Vibrio vulnificus is characterized by fever, chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin lesions. Most cases are unpleasant but resolve within a few days, but rare infections from the species Vibrio vulnificus can cause a "flesh-eating" or necrotizing fasciitis condition that kills up to 30% of those infected.

Vibrio vulnificus is a species of bacteria found in undercooked shellfish, particularly oysters, that can cause serious and sometimes fatal illnesses in humans.

People can be infected by eating contaminated seafood or by wading in water with the bacteria if they have open cuts.

Healthy individuals will normally develop a mild disease from infection, health officials said. "So far this year, there have been a total of 16 cases of Vibrio vulnificus statewide with three confirmed deaths".

Share