Suge Knight trial: Rap mogul pleads no contest over hit-and-run death

Share

The guilty plea comes while he is sitting in jail awaiting trial for the murder of his former friend, Terry Carter who he ran over with his truck. Suge was facing life in prison for killing Carter in 2015 in the parking lot of Tam's Burgers in Compton.

Knight's attorney, Al DeBlanc, first contacted the Los Angeles County district attorney's office about a possible plea deal on Wednesday, according to Lillian Carter, the widow of victim Terry Carter.

Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight pleaded no contest Thursday to voluntary manslaughter and after he ran over two men, killing one, almost four years ago.

Knight had also been charged one count of hit-and-run. Knight claimed that he unintentionally ran over Carter and hit another man while trying to escape because he thought the men were going to shoot him. He was accused of stealing a camera from a woman and of sending threatening text messages to Straight Outta Compton director F. Gary Gray. Knight fled the scene.

The incident, which was captured on surveillance video, took place following an argument over Straight Outta Compton, a biopic about the pioneering rap group NWA. He is expected to be sentenced to 28 years in state prison on the charge.

Knight has reportedly been experiencing health issues in recent years and told the judge he expects to die in prison.

Knight founded Death Row Records, once the well-known home of N.W.A. member Dr. Dre, as well as Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg. In February of 1997, Knight was sentenced to five years in prison for violating his probation by partaking in a fight outside of a Las Vegas hotel earlier in the night before Shakur's death, which remains unsolved.

David Kenner, an attorney affiliated with Knight's Death Row Records, said after Knight's arrest that he was not guilty.

Share