Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

Share

A surf park in Waco has closed for testing after a New Jersey man died earlier this month from a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba.

The CDC told CTVNews.ca that it is assisting the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District on the investigation into a potential Naegleria fowleri exposure at an aquatic facility in Texas.

Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died on September 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but deadly amoeba that can cause a brain infection.

He tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that usually occurs in warm fresh water.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

A GoFundMe page - set up by Stabile's friends and family to raise awareness about PAM - writes that Stabile's symptoms first appeared on the afternoon of September 16, when he experienced an intense headache that forced him to take pain medication and lie down.

The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places like lakes and rivers.

Naegleria fowleri infections are not all that common, but with a fatality rate over 97%, Naegleria fowleri survivors are extremely rare. "We hope to have results by the end of the week".

In a statement, Stuart Parsons Jr., the owner of BSR Cable Park, said his "hearts and prayers" are with Stabile's family. People are usually infected when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

He added: '"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time". From the nose, it can travel to the brain and cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM, the CDC noted.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", the owner of BSR Cable Park, Stuart Parsons, told the Waco Tribune-Herald. PAM is hard to detect because the disease progresses rapidly, so diagnosis is usually made after death, the CDC said.

As of Monday, the GoFundMe page created for the foundation had raised more than $22,000. He said the facility was co-operating with health officials.

Share