Jamal Khashoggi: Trump condemns Saudi writer's disappearance

Share

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that "we can not let this happen", after being asked about Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance and suspected murder on October 2, when Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul but never exited.

United States intelligence services intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture Saudi journalist and government critic Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared in Turkey last week.

National security adviser John Bolton and senior adviser Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law, talked with Salman on Tuesday, while Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had a follow-up call with the Saudi leader to reiterate the US demand for information about the case, the White House said. "We don't know what happened yet". 'After the consulate, we were going to buy appliances for our new home and set a date.

Fears are growing over the fate of missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi after Turkish officials said they believe he was murdered inside the Saudi consulate. Sen.

Turkish spokesman Hami Aksoy said authorities are "open to cooperation" and willing to examine the consulate grounds, though it was not clear when a search would take place.

"We're monitoring this very closely, this situation very closely, and we are working closely with [the] State Department", Mattis said.

During his residency in the USA, he lived in northern Virginia and was a contributor to The Washington Post. "That's a bad situation".

A former senior intelligence official who did not want to be named told The Washington Post: "Capturing him, which could have been interpreted as arresting him, would not have triggered a duty-to-warn obligation".

"Silence, denials and delays are not acceptable".

It wasn't clear whether the Saudis wanted to interrogate or kill him, or whether the USA warned the journalist he was a target, the person said.

Khashoggi had sought to become a US citizen after living in self-imposed exile since past year, fearing repercussions for his criticism of the prince, Cengiz wrote.

He has been critical the monarchy's continued arrest of critics on both the left and right, despite its professed reforms.

Khashoggi, 59, was last seen entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul through the main entrance on October 2.

An official leaves the Saudi Arabia consulate in Istanbul, Oct. 7, 2018. "I very much doubt we could pass another one", Corker said. So far, footage released shows Khashoggi entering the consulate building, however, no footage has been released showing his exit from the consulate.

Official Turkish sources said the men are believed to have killed Mr. Khashoggi and transported his body out of the consulate.

United States intelligence officials reportedly intercepted communications that the Saudis discussed a plan to lure and capture Khashoggi before his disappearance, a person familiar with the situation said in The Post. Even under the Obama administration, which had hard relations with Riyadh compared with Trump, there were some $65 billion in completed arms sales.

The two sides have cooperated on challenging Iran, on supporting Israel and on the war against the Houthis.

The prince denied as "absolutely false" any suspicion that Saudi agents might have detained or killed Khashoggi, and contended it was "outrageous" to think he might have been "murdered in the consulate, during business hours, and with dozens of staff and visitors in the building".

Share