Bosa leaving OSU to prepare for National Football League draft

Share

Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa has withdrawn from school to focus on his rehabilitation of an injured core muscle, the Buckeyes announced Tuesday. But Bosa won't be returning to the Buckeyes regardless. But that's not discounting what the preseason All-American brought to the table, defensive coordinator Greg Schiano said after practice Tuesday. "But that's kind of life in sports".

John Bosa, Nick's father, said in a text message to the Columbus Dispatch that it has been "a very tough few days" as his son considered his decision. He cited the love Nick and his family have for the university, his teammates and for the coaching and support staff, especially defensive line coach Larry Johnson.

"The way he plays the game, the amount of torque and power he creates, when you have any little issue it's going to be exposed", John said.

The news is a blow for the No. 2 ranked Ohio State squad, but not altogether unexpected following Bosa's injury. "Once we all huddled up as a family, and got input from older brother Joey and input from mom (Cheryl), and then the doctors, we decided it was in his best interest ... to shut it down".

Urban Meyer released a statement on Bosa's decision a short time ago. Bosa had been confirmed to be working out individually at the team's facility.

It makes sense from Bosa's perspective to make a decision like this given that he's already considered one of the top players to hit the National Football League next year, but this is obviously disappointing for all of Buckeye nation.

Asked about Bosa, as well as future first-round pick Denzel Ward skipping Ohio State's bowl game past year, Meyer praised both and said: "I certainly understand and we support [the players]".

Share