Facebook, Instagram explain massive outage, apologize for inconvenience


Facebook's stock dropped almost 2 per cent after a 17-hour partial outage made the world's largest social network inaccessible to users across the globe. Facebook notified users and by Thursday morning, the issue appeared to be largely resolved, as the official Instagram account on Twitter said, "Anddddd. we're back".

It should go without saying that phoning law enforcement to inform them of a website outage is a serious waste of police time.

Though WhatsApp isn't particularly prevalent in the USA, it has around 1.5 billion users worldwide and is a big part of Facebook's growth plans as it prepares to integrate all of its messaging services. "We're working on getting it fixed as soon as we can".

Before blockchain schemes were a glimmer in Zuckerberg's eye, Durov was getting rich off of cryptocurrencies and previous year his company raised $2 billion to develop some sort of decentralised e-payments system. The outage prompted exasperation from business owners and individuals who rely on Facebook's platforms to communicate, and inspired a flood of derision on Twitter, where some users migrated to stay connected.

The DownDetector website - one of the internet's most used sources of numbers on outages - showed the number of complaints had peaked at more than 12,000, gradually falling to about 180 in the early hours of Friday morning.

Telegram's founder and CEO Pavel Durov announced the massive uptick in registered users on his personal channel on Thursday, boasting about the merits of his popular alternative messenger app.

"Yesterday, we made a server configuration change that triggered a cascading series of issues", a Facebook spokesperson told TechRadar via email.

"Yesterday, a server configuration issue made it hard for people to access our apps and services".

However, the latest Facebook service outage shows the issues that arise when attempting to consolidate a number of online services and apps together. Beyond Instagram's tweet, Facebook has provided no further updates in the hours since then.