Bangladesh team leaves a changed New Zealand after mosque shootings


"Our thoughts and honest condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by this horrendous incident in Christchurch", he added. International Cricket Council chief executive David Richardson said it "fully supports the decision to cancel the test match".

It is to be noted that the Bangladesh Cricket team is now in New Zealand for an ODI and a Test series against the hosts.

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel". "Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers", batsman Tamim Iqbal wrote on Twitter following the attack. He approaches the mosque on foot, his weapon visible, and begins shooting at people at the entrance.

The team's high performance analyst, Shrinivas Chandrasekaran, said the team narrowly escaped the shooting, while Mushfiqur Rahim, the captain of the team, said they were "extremely lucky" to have survived. "Heartbeats pumping badly and panic everywhere", he was quoted as saying by media reports.

The players and other members of the touring party are safe, in lockdown at their hotel; some of them were on their way to one of the mosques for Friday prayers at the time of the attack but escaped to the nearby Hagley Oval.

Mohammad Isam, a journalist traveling with the Bangladesh team, said he believed the players wish to leave New Zealand as soon as possible.

Bangladesh were due to take on New Zealand on Saturday. Players and team support staff had planned to pray at the mosque before continuing to the ground to join teammates and coaching staff. "The persons who perpetrated this violence against us. have no place in New Zealand".

Police stand guard outside the district court building in Christchurch New Zealand Saturday
Police stand guard outside the district court building in Christchurch New Zealand Saturday

'It looked like video, what we usually see in movie, from the bus we saw bloodstained people coming out of the mosque.

The team were in Hagley Park and have gone back to the Oval.

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Friday's attacks would go down as one of the country's "darkest days", adding that the assault on the mosques appeared to be a well-planned "terrorist attack".

New Zealand Police confirmed they had responded to shots fired in central Christchurch at around 13:40 local time (00:40 GMT). "To our comfort, the cricket was not the target, I can't imagine and I don't want to imagine what would happen if the players came earlier and entered into the Mosque".

"I can't tell you too much about the events because I was at the ground when the lads went but they're all upset and it's a great shame for the whole word really when things like this happen in Christchurch".

Members of the Bangladesh cricket team check into Christchurch Airport on March 16, 2019 following the deadly massacre on two mosques in the city.