Dozens of Memphis police injured after fatal shooting sparks violent clashes


An officer-involved shooting that left a man dead in Memphis sparked tension Wednesday night between protesters and police officers. No officers were injured in that encounter.

When the officers tried to stop Webber, "he reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers' vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon", the TBI says.

The violent clashes occurred in response to the reported death by shooting of a felony suspect, who was killed in a botched raid by US Marshals in North Memphis.

The Bureau would not say how many marshals fired or how many times Webber was shot.

Marshals fired, striking and killing Webber. Some threw rocks and spat at the police, the mayor said in his statement.

At least 24 officers and deputies were injured, with six hospitalized, during the confrontation, Mayor Jim Strickland said in a statement, adding that two journalists also were injured.

"I want to thank the Shelby County Sheriff's Office for their assistance, the Governor and Tennessee Highway Patrol, Memphis Fire, and my staff and directors who worked overnight to serve this city", Strickland said. By 11 p.m., officers had used tear gas and most of the crowd dispersed, police director Michael Rallings said at a Thursday morning at a news conference.

The NAACP said it was "closely monitoring" reports out of Frayser.

During the unrest, officers cordoned off several blocks in the Frayser neighborhood north of downtown and arrested three people.

"I'm impressed by their professionalism and incredible restraint as they endured concrete rocks being thrown at them and people spitting at them", he said in a Facebook post.

News of Webber's death spread quickly as protesters hurled rocks at police, tore down a concrete wall outside a business and smashed the windows of squad cars and a fire station.

Authorities had to use tear gas to disperse the angry crowd. Rallings said the officers suffered mostly minor injuries but a few were serious.

Authorities maintain a perimeter around the crime scene after protesters took to the streets of the Frayser community in anger against the shooting a youth by U.S. Marshals earlier in the evening, Wednesday, June 12, 2019, in Memphis, Tenn.

A young black man slain by federal agents as they tried to arrest him in Memphis, touching off violent protests, was wanted in the shooting of a man in MS earlier this month, law enforcement officials said on Thursday. Yolanda Holmes, his aunt, told the Daily Memphian that the family was trying to confirm what exactly happened. WREG's Luke Jones, said he was knocked to the ground after a man ran up and punched him in the head, while Rebecca Butcher of Local 24 News tweeted that her photographer was also hit by someone in the crowd.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation later identified the suspect as Brandon Webber, 20-year-old black man.

The fugitive, who has not been officially identified, was attempting to leave an area in Memphis's Frayser neighborhood when he was confronted by agents of the U.S. Marshals Service-Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force.

Crowds appeared shortly after the task force shot 20-year-old Brandon Webber around 7 Wednesday night, and numbers grew swiftly as people livestreamed the scene on social media.

TBI has not confirmed the names of the agents involved in the shooting.